This is the largest 19th Century log structure still standing in Tennessee. The main house spans a length of 142 feet with an open breezeway through the center. Some of the logs comprising the walls are 32 feet long. Most are oak, some walnut, and others ash. None are the more typical poplar.

In the late 1800s, the resort was expanded with summer cottages, a dance pavilion, a bowling alley, and a pool room. By 1915, however, mineral springs were becoming less fashionable, causing the Wynne family to close the business. They continued to work the farm and make the inn their home.

Completed Circa 1830, Wynnewood was built of materials plentiful on the site.  The foundation walls were formed of limestone blocks quarried from the adjacent hillside.  The same material was used to build the original chimneys.  Sturdy hardwood logs, many as long as thirty-two feet and all cut from nearby trees, were squared to 8” by 16”; V-notched; and set into place on the foundation, forming the walls of the two story building.  The roof, latticed with wide boards, was then covered with hand-split wood shingles.

The main building is 142 feet long (see photo below), including the kitchen.  A breezeway or “dogtrot” divides it in two.  A gallery runs 110 feet across the back.  All rooms on the first floor either open onto the dogtrot or the gallery.  Rooms on the second floor were reached by one of the two stairways, the principal one rising from the dogtrot and the second one originally rising from the family gathering room.  The interior walls of the rooms were originally unfinished.  In 1836 Almira had a number of them plastered, as instructed by her husband.  In a letter from Natchez, he advised her to “brave the difficulties and have it finished before bad weather.”

A large detached kitchen (~20feet x 20feet) is located at the west end of the house.  Today it is connected by a covered walkway.  The massive fireplace is fronted by a stone hearth that spans one entire wall.  This large cooking area was essential to providing three meals a day for the Wynne family and their resort guests.Southeast of the main house still stands a one room log cottage with a large stone fireplace.  It was one of several cottages that were rented to resort guests at their highest rate. One of them served as office and living quarters for the local medical doctor.